Skip to main content

Fuji XF10 Review

                   My Fuji X10F Review 

I began my search to find a suitable real pocket-sized every day carry. 
I have owned a Ricoh  GRiii and whilst the image quality was excellent, I missed the Fuji colours the stabilisation was good it was a very capable camera at allowing very low shutter speeds. 
I also had a Sony Rx100 MK6 and again a great image machine with a good zoom but the menu's Sony when will you ever learn? They actually made the image taking process difficult and frustrating!

Obviously you already know my love for the V and its stellar IQ and it is simply amazing so why would I want another camera?

I had also owned the venerable Fuji X70 what a great camera this was and really superb IQ out of that older sensor.  "Only" 16mb but very capable.  They now demand high prices of £450 and more and I couldn't justify that either, although I get why mint examples fetch a high price.

I began by examining my V and when I didn't take it out. It is a very beautiful and high price image making beast and sometimes I left it behind because I didn't want to risk damage to it (I do baby my cameras- sorry )

So I looked at using this phone as my carry everyday camera but even though the Samsung Note 9 is an excellent tool for nearly everything its camera is still just a phone and I considered looking for another phone. I dabbled in thought about the amazing Samsung S21 Ultra but £1300? Just far too much money.

I thought carefully about a used Ricoh GRiii but they were demanding around  £750 for a decent example so again it seemed expensive but a good camera.

So I did the usual thing YouTube search and I saw a camera that I hadn’t really even heard of the Fuji XF10. Many of the usual you tube videos were pretty negative about this camera from the outset - mainly autofocus limitations but technically it was a contrast detect system and always with those it’s much better to make the focus single point, and the smallest focus area possible. None of these reviewers did this, they said it just wasn’t good enough. Well look below at this photo from it


Indi’s eye was focused on and it wasn’t very much light it was as ISO 1600 exposure. I have zoomed up on this as an example it’s very very good. So this disbands the focus problem.
The menus we Fuji shooters would be used to are all there.
So speciation wise the XF10 is 24m effective pixels it has an APS-C CMOS sensor (Bayer) a 3.0-inch display and ISO up to a maximum of ISO 51200. It only weighs in at 280g and is highly pocket friendly!

It is a tiny camera it almost looks toy like but trust me it’s actually up there with the best 





The lens is the 18.5mm equivalent to 28mm in the 35mm format so works well on a range of subjects from landscapes to snapshots and a good close focus capability too


It also has a snap to focus snapshot setting I haven’t been using this as I prefer focus and compose.
All the usual Fuji film simulations are there but Acros one of my favourites isn’t there, intend to shoot RAW with it as I find the Bayer sensor reads slightly more magenta in jpegs but nothing major.

The lens is sharp - very sharp and has surprised me in its overall performance since I have got to know the camera for the last week. One real negative is the daft lens cap bundled with this camera it’s really stupid on a lanyard attached to the camera! So the previous owner of my copy uses a metal lens cap which is a snug fit and perfect for protection of the lens. I only paid £249 for this mint copy - a true bargain in camera terms, pocketable, reasonably rugged and simple to operate. 
As you can see it gives a more PASM type of dial on the top plate I use it in P for program and often the other dial to the right is exposure compensation. There is also a dial around the shutter release this controls shutter speed in S mode and the f stop when in A. I also shoot a bit in full manual in this instance the dials work with shutter for the right hand one and f stop with the other. I leave auto ISO on at the top limit of ISO1600.

I hope this little review helps anybody with a thought on what to get value for money wise you can’t go wrong with this. Anybody wants to ask any questions my email is markmk1photography@gmail.com

More photos with it from today


















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

More off camera flash with The Fujifilm finepix X100

So today was our grandson Freddie care day or as it's known to us "Freddie Friday" I chose the X100 original for all these shots and used a cord to trigger the large V850 Godox flash to fire. I also used a demflip modifier which is basically like a bounce card of old days use. It gives quite soft light as you can see from these shots. If anyone is interested in the actual set up I would be happy to explain my technique and the equipment used. What it does prove is the little original Fujifilm from 2010 still gives wonderful colour and lovely photography.

Digital Detox

 I was becoming increasingly concerned about the amount of control our so called "Smartphones" have over us. There were instances when a subject I was talking about or emailing became part of my chosen search engine feed. It came to a head when I honestly got so sick of my phone I switched it off and went without, It prompted me to search for the Lightphone 2 and it's funny how the search engine gods don't proffer me with details of this device in my feed - I wonder why? I decided to order one from the American company run by two people who became fed up with their big tech overlords So it was delivered and a very easy set up all through an account and I have been using it as my only device ever since for 5 days and I am more peaceful and more " in the moment"  Photos below and a link if you want to know more The light phone 2  

Finepix X100 jpeg action

 Today I tried out the Finepix X100 in jpeg mode to see if it renders a good image  Indi was in her dog cage/bed and just had to be photographed! I quite like the files from this little old camera more now than ever before, there's a certain depth and softness that really gives the image character. For those that are interested the exposure was 1/30 sec f/4.0 ISO 3200 the camera was supported on a manfrotto pixie tripod. Below is an image from yesterday this was lit with flash from the camera and it really gives beautiful RAW files from this camera are really adaptable and easily edited. The exposure was 1/1000 sec f/2.8 ISO 400 obviously as I have previously discussed the leaf shutter allows high shutter syncing